This week we see the launch of:
- Two new Rightside ‘Regulated’ TLDs (.MARKET and .MORTGAGE)
- Five new Uniregistry Sunrises (.CLICK, .HOSTING, .PROPERTY, .DIET, and .HELP)
- New georaphic TLDs
- .WALES and .CYMRU (Proud Welshpersons take note: general availability starts March 1, the day of St. David, patron saint of Wales!)
- .BZH for the Breton community
- .GENT for the Belgian city of Ghent
- .TATAR for the Republic of Tatarstan
- .REALTOR for members of the National Association of Realtors (NAR) and the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA), with substantial giveaways of domains to their members
- .موقع (.xn--4gbrim – dotMawqe) — Arabic for “site”
Finally, an industry snapshot:
- The total number of new gTLDs registered now stands at just over 2 million
- .XYZ is in first position with 464,946 domains registered to date, followed by .BERLIN with 138,293, and .CLUB with 100,895
New gTLDs Launched/Announced
United TLD (Rightside Registry) – .MARKET and .MORTGAGE
Registry operator United TLD Holdco Ltd. has announced the next of its new gTLDs to launch into Sunrise will be .MARKET and .MORTGAGE as follows:
|Sunrise Opens||Sunrise Closes||Sunrise Type||Early Access Program (EAP) Day 1||Early Access Program (EAP) Closes||General Availability|
|26-Aug-14||25-Oct-14||End Date Sunrise (not first-come, first-served)||29-Oct-14||05-Nov-14||05-Nov-14|
All phases open and close at 17:00 UTC.
During the Sunrise Phase, trademark rights holders may register their domain names provided that the term applied for is in the Trademark Clearinghouse (TMCH), with multiple applications for the same domain resulting in an auction. The initial term of registration for a domain is one year. Please note that there will not be a Landrush Phase for these TLDs, but an Early Access Program (similar to Donuts EAP) with domains available to all, followed by General Availability, wherein domains will also be available to register on a first-come, first-served basis.
During EAP and General Availability, domains may be registered for 1–10 years.
IDNs are available for these TLDs in English, Spanish, and French.
Please note that .MARKET and .MORTGAGE are “Regulated” TLDs.
Safeguards for Regulated TLDs:
Registrants are required to comply with all applicable laws, including those that relate to privacy, data collection, consumer protection (including in relation to misleading and deceptive conduct), fair lending, debt collection, organic farming, disclosure of data, and financial disclosures. Additionally, if a registrant collects and maintains sensitive health and financial data, they must implement reasonable and appropriate security measures commensurate with the offering of those services, as defined by applicable law.
Rightside’s Registration Terms and Conditions may be viewed in full at: http://rightside.co/policies/Rightside_Registration_Terms.pdf.
Registry operator Limited Liability Company “Coordination Center of Regional Domain of Tatarstan Republic” has announced the launch of its new gTLD, .TATAR, as follows:
|Sunrise/Step 1||Sunrise Type||Limited Registration/Step 2||Limited Registration/Step 3|
|29-Aug to 27-Oct-14||End Date Sunrise (not first-come, first-served)||05-25 Nov-14||01-21-Dec-14|
|Premium Registration/Landrush Step 1||Premium Registration/Landrush Step 2||Premium Registration/Landrush Step 3|
|03- 09 Feb-15||13-19 Feb-15||25-Feb to 03-Mar-15|
|Premium Registration/Landrush Step 4 Opens||Premium Registration/Landrush Step 4 Closes||General Availability|
During the Sunrise Phase, trademark rights holders may register their domain names provided that the term applied for is in the TMCH, with multiple applications for the same domain resulting in an auction.
Under Limited Registration/Step 2, domains may be registered for state and government organizations of the Tatarstan Republic, while under Limited Registration/Step 3, domains may be registered by holders of trademarks registered in Russia, as well as by media and not-for-profit organizations.
A four-stage Premium Registration/Landrush Phase will follow before commencement of General Availability.
Domain names are available for registration by both private individuals and legal entities, regardless of whether they are residents of the Russian Federation.
.TATAR domains will only be available in ASCII characters.
.WALES and .CYMRU
Registry operator Nominet’s new gTLDs, .CYMRU and .WALES, have launched at the same time, although there will be no automatic bundling between the registers. The launch schedule for these TLDs is as follows:
|Sunrise||Sunrise Type||Welsh Business Priority Phase||Landrush and Premium Names||General Availability|
|01-Sep 31-Oct-14||End Date Sunrise (not first-come, first-served)||03-Nov – 24-Dec-14||29-Dec-14 25-Feb-15||01-Mar-15|
During the Sunrise Phase, trademark rights holders may register their domain names provided that the term applied for is in the TMCH. If, during Sunrise, there are two or more applications for the same domain, Nominet will forward the application details to a validation agent who will contact applicants directly and offer them the chance to supply evidence proving that their mark is active in Wales. If only one applicant can prove use, they will be able to register the domain; however if more than one applicant can prove use, or no applicants can prove use in Wales, the domain will be subject to an auction.
During the Welsh business priority phase applicants must provide evidence of their eligible right to register their chosen domain name, as well as proof that the right is being used in Wales. A validation agent will perform this service and will contact applicants directly. While trademark holders registered with the TMCH may still apply in this phase, they will receive no priority.
Under Landrush, it will be possible to apply for domains without having to prove any eligibility; premium domains will also be released during this period. Multiple applications for the same domain under Landrush will result in an auction.
Under General Availability, which will fall on St. David’s Day (the patron saint of Wales!), domains will be available to all on a first-come, first-served basis.
For each original domain, a single variant may be created with the same text but without (or with, if the original is plain text) diacritic characters, at no cost. Therefore, if the original domain is TÔBACH.CYMRU, you can create TOBACH.CYMRU.
Nominet is also running a Founders Programme in which major organizations and individuals from within the Welsh community will be able to register domains from as early as 5 September in order to help promote the new TLDs. In fact, the National Assembly for Wales, Sport Wales, and the Arts Council for Wales are already among those who will be changing their addresses to .CYMRU or .WALES later this year.
.QUEBEC – update to Launch Phase priority allocation
Registry operator PointQuébec Inc has given notice regarding its requests to ICANN for some Approved Launch Programs that would have allowed public interest (including public administration) names to be registered with priority over Sunrise, and also Canadian trademarks not registered with the TMCH to have parity with TMCH-validated trademarks for its geoTLD, .QUEBEC. Since ICANN has not yet resolved their requests, and due to the imminent launch, they must withdraw those requests and accordingly rearrange the priority of the launch phases as follows:
|Launch Phase Opens||Launch Phase Closes||Sunrise Type||General Availability|
|02-Sep-14||04-Nov-14||End Date Sunrise(not first-come, first-served)||13-Nov-14|
Registrations will be allocated at the end of this 63-day launch phase according to their priority status:
1. Sunrise (for holders of TMCH-validated trademarks)
2. Public interest (entities with a specific role in the promotion of Québec’s public interest, including public authorities)
3. Local trademarks (non-TMCH-validated trademarks with effect in the Québec area (Canadian trademarks and WIPO international trademarks with effect in Canada), and geographical indications recognized by international or Canadian legislation)
4. Local entities (other prior rights) (for entities with a legal seat in Québec)
5. Landrush (for registrants without priority rights)
Domains will be available on a first-come, first-served basis under General Availability.
All registrants of a .QUEBEC domain must be an individual or a legal entity with a connection to the .QUEBEC community, which means that the registrant of the domain must be able to reasonably demonstrate a link or an interest to the community at the time of registration and throughout the duration of the active registration. The link to the community can be on a linguistic, cultural, tourism, commercial, or any other basis that is conducive to the benefit of the Québec community.
.CLICK, .HOSTING, .PROPERTY, .DIET,and .HELP
Registry operator Uniregistry has announced its next TLDs to launch into Sunrise will be.CLICK, .HOSTING, .PROPERTY, .DIET, and .HELP as follows:
|New gTLD||Sunrise Opens||Sunrise Closes||Sunrise Type||General Availability|
|.CLICK.HOSTING .PROPERTY .DIET.HELP||03-Sep-14||03-Nov-14||End Date Sunrise (not first-come, first-served)||25-Nov-14|
During the Sunrise period domains may be reserved or registered on the basis of trade or service marks registered with the TMCH, and certain typographical variations thereof.
A Sunrise period B will take place at the same time as Sunrise period A, wherein applicants for whom the end part of their trademark string corresponds to the new gTLD may respond to an invitation to register domain names under .(new gTLD), which are truncated before the end part of the trademark. In this sense, the trademark is “spanning the dot.” A proxy service may not be used for Sunrise B applications.
Domains will be available for periods of 1–10 years.
The following Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) are available for all Uniregistry TLDs:
Registry operator Association www.bzh has announced the launch schedule of its new geoTLD, .BZH, for the Breton community (those attached to the French region of Brittany, its culture, and its languages), as follows:
|Sunrise||Sunrise Type||Public Administrations and Associations Limited Registration
|04-Sep-03-Nov 14||End Date Sunrise(not first-come, first- served)||03-30 Nov-14||03-30 Nov-14||04-Dec-14|
During the Sunrise period, four categories of applications with prior rights will be accepted simultaneously and will be allocated according to the hierarchy of priority status of each category as follows:
1. Priority 1 Category: TMCH-validated trademarks. The trademarks have to be valid in France for at least six months.
2. Priority 2 Category: Local trademarks, Non-TMCH-validated trademarks with effect in
France (French trademarks, EU Community trademarks, and WIPO international trademarks registered in France). The trademarks have to be valid in France for at least six months. A copy of the trademark registration certificate is required.
3. Priority 3 Category: Geographical indications with effect in France, recognized by International treaties, EU regulations, or French legislation. A copy of a legal act, decree, or decision by a competent official authority which grants protection for a specific name, such as a geographical indication, or designation of origin, is required.
4. Priority 4 Category: Corporate names, including clear variations and/or abbreviations thereof, of corporations with a registered office or place of business in the Breton area (Finistère, Côtes d’Armor, Morbihan, Ille-et-Vilaine, and Loire-Atlantique). A copy of thecorporate registration certificate (Kbis or INSEE registration) is required.
Domain Names for which there is a single eligible applicant will be automatically allocated at the end of the Sunrise period. If two or more trademark Sunrise applicants in the same category apply for the same .BZH domain, the following procedures will be applied:
1. Mediation will be conducted by the registry operator;
2. If no agreement is reached between the applicants, an auction will be conducted.
For the Priority 2 Category – Local trademarks and the Priority 3 Category – Geographical indications, priority will be given to the trademarks by seniority (older first).
Domains registered during the Sunrise phase will be for a period of from 2–10 years.
All registrations during the Sunrise will have precedence over registrations during the public administrations and associations and Landrush Periods. During the public administrations and associations Limited Registration period, three categories of applications with prior rights will be accepted simultaneously and will be allocated according to the hierarchy of priority status of each category as follows:
1. Priority 1 Category: Public Administrations will be allowed to register their own names, names of public services, geographical names, and names of local landmarks under their control, as well as any clear variations and abbreviations and other terms in common use to describe them. A copy of the “Extrait INSEE” or the publication in the Official Journal “Journal Officiel de la République Française” will be required.
2. Priority 2 Category: Associations will be allowed to register their own names and any clear variations and abbreviations and other terms in common use to describe them. A copy of the publication in the Official Journal “Journal Officiel de la République Française” will be required.
3. Priority 3 Category: Members of Association www.bzh will be allowed to register the name they provided when they enrolled in the association. The eligible names under this category will be allocated with priority over the Landrush Period.
Domain Names for which there is a single eligible applicant will be automatically allocated at the end of the Sunrise period.
Applications for names applied by the Brittany Regional Council will have priority over applications for names by other public authorities.
If two or more applicants of the same category apply for the same .BZH domain, the following procedures will be applied:
1. Mediation will be conducted by the registry operator;
2. If no agreement is reached between the applicants, an auction will be conducted.
Domains registered during this phase will be for a period of from 2–10 years.
The Landrush phase is open to all eligible applicants not subject to prior rights with multiple applications for the same domain resulting in an auction. Domains registered during this phase will be for a period of from 2 –10 years.
Domains will be available to all eligible applicants on a first-come, first-served basis under General Availability.
Please note, the .BZH TLD is a “community-based” TLD and domains may only be registered by a limited group of registrants and are subject to special conditions of use. To register (or renew) a domain, applicants must substantiate:
a place of residence, headquarters, or office located in Brittany (Côtes d’Armor, Ille-et-Vilaine, Finistère, Morbihan, Loire-Atlantique); or
- significant and original content of the website devoted to Brittany and the Breton culture, at most six months after the allocation of the domain name; or
- a significant and original part of the website in the Breton or Gallo language, at most six months after the allocation of the domain name; or
- regular membership of Association www.bzh, which gathers representatives of the linguistic and cultural community.
Registry operator Combell Group NV/SA has announced the launch schedule for its new geoTLD, .GENT, for the Belgian city of Ghent, as follows:
|Sunrise||Sunrise Type||Limited Registration||Landrush||General Availability|
|04-Sep 04-Oct–14||Start Date Sunrise (first-come, first- served)||13-Oct 13-Nov -14||17-Nov 19-Nov -14||24-Nov-14|
During the Sunrise Phase, trademark rights holders may register their domain names on a first-come, first-served basis provided that the term applied for is in the TMCH.
No further documentation is required for registration.
During the Limited Registration Period, domains may be registered by companies, inhabitants, non-profit organizations, and local public services of the region of Ghent. In order to submit an application for a .GENT domain name during this phase, it is first necessary to register a name in a central register, called the .GENT Clearinghouse, wherein applications will be validated based upon submitted evidence.
It is necessary to request a token for this phase directly via the .GENT Clearinghouse, available until 5 November and several combinations of domain names (maximum: 15) may be submitted per application.
The token will be valid from 13 October to try to register the domain via an accredited registrar on a first-come, first-served basis.
During the Landrush phase, it is possible to register any available .GENT domain name without prior validation of the application on a first-come, first-served basis.
Under General Availability, domains will be available on a first-come, first-served basis to everyone.
Some premium domains are currently unavailable for registration and will be auctioned at a later stage.
.MOSCOW/.МОСКВА – launch of additional Limited Registration Period III phase
Registry operator The Foundation for Assistance for Internet Technologies and Infrastructure Development (FAITID) has announced it will run an additional launch phase, Limited Registration Period III, for the .MOSCOW and .МОСКВА TLDs, which are intended for the Moscow government and municipal bodies, as well as for the government bodies of the Russian Federation. It will be held from 4 September (08:00 UTC) until 22 September 2014 (08:00 UTC).
During this period domain names can be reserved by FAITID for the needs of Moscow and the Russian Federation. A list of domains that may be registered during the Limited Registration Period III corresponds to:
- the List of Second-Level Domain Names in the .MOSCOW TLD to Be Reserved for the Needs of the Moscow Government and Russian Federation (Exhibit 1 to the .MOSCOW Reservation Policy published on FAITID’s website at: http://en.faitid.org/sites/default/files/policy/MOSCOW_POLICY_RESERVATION_ENG_20140820.pdf)
- the List of Second-Level Domain Names in the .МОСКВА TLD to Be Reserved for the Needs of the Moscow Government and Russian Federation (Exhibit 1 to the .МОСКВА Reservation Policy published on FAITID’s website at: http://en.faitid.org/sites/default/files/policy/MOSKVA_POLICY_RESERVATION_ENG_20140820.pdf)
Landrush will follow as per the original launch schedule, from 24 September to 18 November 2014, with General Availability due to commence on 1 December 2014.
Registry operator Real Estate Domains LLC has announced the launch of its new gTLD, .REALTOR, as follows:
|Sunrise Opens||Sunrise Closes||Sunrise Type||General Availability|
|08-Sep-14 (TBC)||08-Oct-14 (TBC)||Start Date Sunrise (first-come, first- served)||23-Oct-14|
Only members of the National Association of Realtors (NAR) and the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) will be allowed to use the new .REALTOR domain in connection with their names.
During the Sunrise period, holders of trademarks which are also a NAR affiliate may register domains on a first-come, first-served basis.
Either your full first or full last name must be adjacent to the .REALTOR (e.g., your name may appear in the National Association of Realtors database as John Smith, which allows you to register either SMITHJOHN.REALTOR or JOHNSMITH.REALTOR). You are also allowed to add information before your name, but it still must end with your name (e.g., SUPERAGENTJOHNSMITH.REALTOR).
NAR will provide the first 500,000 members who register a .REALTOR domain with a free one-year license, and CREA will provide 10,000 free domains to members on a first-come, first-served basis.
.موقع (.xn--4gbrim – dotMawqe) – Arabic for “site”
Registry operator Suhub Electronic Establishment has announced the launch of its new gTLD,
.موقع (.xn--4gbrim), which is Arabic for “site” (“website” or “geographic location”) as follows:
|Sunrise Opens||Sunrise Closes||Sunrise Type||Landrush Premium Opens||Landrush Closes||General Availability|
|16-Sep-14||17-Nov-14||Start Date Sunrise (first-come, first-served)||25-Nov-14||25-Dec-14||06-Jan-15|
During the Sunrise Phase, trademark rights holders may register their domain names on a first-come, first-served basis, provided that the term applied for is in the TMCH.
Domains will be available to all on a first-come, first-served basis during both Landrush and General Availability.
Domains must be registered using Arabic script characters only.
.VERSICHERUNG – Update to General Availability launch phase
We have been advised by the registry operator for .VERSICHERUNG (German, relating to insurance services) that they have had to reschedule the launch date for the .VERSICHERUNG General Availability phase to 16 September 2014 at 09:00 UTC (not 10 September as previously communicated).
Registry service provider for the new gTLD, .RIO, NIC.br, has announced that further to the cancellation of the original Sunrise period (which was to be held from 30 June to 3 August 2014), General Availability of .RIO domains is now scheduled for early January 2015.
Sunrise is expected to run from mid-November 2014 (after name collision issues are cleared) to mid-December 2014 and will be announced in due course. Domain holders are required to be:
- A legal entity established in Brazil, with its headquarters, branch, franchisee, or licensee in the municipality of Rio de Janeiro, duly enrolled and active in the National Register of Legal Entities of the Ministry of Finance – CNPJ/MF.
- Individuals with a permanent address in the city of Rio de Janeiro, duly enrolled and active in the Register of Individuals of Ministry of Finance–CPF/MF.
The proposed domain name must meet the following conditions:
- Be a widely recognized name in the city of Rio de Janeiro, as associated with a legal or physical person (either by being the name or one of its services, products, or brands);
- Cannot feature public services (civic, municipal, state, or federal), such as underground, water, gas, transport, security, garbage collection, among others, with the exception of public service providers and their dealers, authorized and verified by the Government;
- You may not use the names of neighborhoods, regions, places, events, or traditions of Rio de Janeiro (i.e., the beach, Copacabana, Ipanema, carnival, etc.). These names may only be used by the City of Rio de Janeiro and its agencies and entities;
- Cannot be a generic name for the goods or services of a particular nature, such as: hotel, hotels, bar, bars, etc. These names may only be used by the City of Rio de Janeiro and its agencies and entities;
- May not relate to illegal activity;
- May not be detrimental to the image of the city of Rio de Janeiro.
New gTLDs Currently Running
United TLD (Rightside Registry)’s .SOCIAL, which has been in General Availability since 4 June, has been featuring in the news this week with an article at Coordination Center for TLD RU.
According to the article, auto manufacturer Porsche had filed a complaint with the National Arbitration Forum against the owner of the domain PORSCHE.SOCIAL (Interactiv Corporation, based in California), which had registered the domain on 4 July 2014. However, Porsche unexpectedly lost the case after the defendant’s representatives told the URS panel that the domain administrator plans to use the domain name for a free community for Porsche car enthusiasts and will put a disclaimer on every webpage that it is not affiliated with or authorized by the car company.
The chairman of the panel, Karl V. Fink, found this reason satisfactory for the decision: “The complainant has not established by clear and convincing evidence that Registrant has no right or interest in the domain name and has not established that the domain was registered or is being used in bad faith.” However, this seemingly suggests that anyone could, upon declaring such future plans to create a free community site, register a brand name under the .SOCIAL new gTLD. The full article can be found at:
|Launch Phase||New gTLD||Closing Date|
|Limited Registration II||дети (xn--d1acj3b) – Russian for “kids/deti”||10-Sep-14|
|Landrush||网络 (xn--io0a7i) – Chinese for “network”||16-Sep-14|
|Landrush||公司 (xn--55qx5d) – Chinese for “company”||16-Sep-14|
|Priority 3-5 Categories||SCOT||16-Sep-14|
|Priority 2 Category||SCOT||19-Sep-14|
|Limited Registration III||москва (xn--80adxhks) – Russian for “Moscow/ moskva”||22-Sep-14|
|Limited Registration III||MOSCOW||22-Sep-14|
|Sunrise/Limited Registration 1/Limited Registration 2||MELBOURNE||26-Sep-14|
|Sunrise||商标 (xn--czr694b) – Chinese for “trademark”||30-Sep-14|
New gTLDs Delegated
Fifteen further new gTLDs from ICANN’s New gTLD Program have recently been delegated, taking the total to 370:
|16-Aug-14||.HOW||Charleston Road Registry Inc. (Google)|
|16-Aug-14||.OOO||INFIBEAM INCORPORATION LIMITED|
|16-Aug-14||.UOL||UBN INTERNET LTDA.|
|16-Aug-14||.LTDA||DOMAIN ROBOT SERVICOS DE HOSPEDAGEM NA INTERNET LTDA|
|16-Aug-14||.CERN||European Organization for Nuclear Research (ʺCERNʺ)|
|14-Aug-14||.CARAVAN||Caravan International, Inc.|
|14-Aug-14||.SCA||SVENSKA CELLULOSA AKTIEBOLAGET SCA (publ)|
|14-Aug-14||.广东 (.xn--xhq521b) – Chinese province of “Guangdong”||Guangzhou YU Wei Information Technology Co., Ltd.|
|14-Aug-14||.佛山 (.xn--1qqw23a) – Chinese city of “Foshan”||Guangzhou YU Wei Information Technology Co., Ltd.|
The complete list of new gTLDs delegated to date is available at: http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/delegated-strings.
New gTLDs Signed
The following new gTLD Registry operators have recently entered into a Registry Agreement with ICANN, under which they will operate their new gTLDs:
|New gTLD||Registry Operator||Date Signed|
|.GUGE||Charleston Road Registry Inc.||28-Aug-14|
|.IPIRANGA||Ipiranga Produtos de Petroleo S.A.||28-Aug-14|
|.IST||Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality||28-Aug-14|
|.ISTANBUL||Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality||28-Aug-14|
|.CBN||The Christian Broadcasting Network, Inc.||22-Aug-14|
|.XN–EFVY88H (.新闻 – Chinese for news)||Xinhua News Agency Guangdong Branch 新华通讯社广东分社||22-Aug-14|
|.GROUP||Romeo Town, LLC||15-Aug-14|
|.TEMASEK||Temasek Holdings (Private) Limited||07-Aug-15|
So far, a total of 502 Registry Agreements have been signed. The full list of Registry Agreements can be viewed at: http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/registries.